Sunday, August 24, 2008

Where the President is called Jimmy..



It's a lazy Saturday afternoon and Garry continues to hurl a barrage of insults at me on GTalk. So I choose to shift my attention to the Namesake. Some things I thought I would share-:

The Best transformation: Moushami Majumdar, from the young girl who detests American Television to the one gyrating to Kamasutra beats on her wedding night.

Best One Liner: Irrfan trying to explain the intricacies of American Society-:

"With a President named Jimmy, anything can happen in this country"


The Most meaningful Scene: When Tabu slips in to Irrfan Khan's American Shoes and conjures up her first Great American Dream

The most well Acted Scene: Max and Gogol come over to visit Tabu and Irrfan. The East embraces the West. The differences stare you in the face.

Funniest Scene: When the Bengali Servant tries to explain how his heart will explode if he continued to run behind Gogol

Most Romantic Scene: When walking outside Victoria Memorial, Tabu asks Irrfan whether he wants her to say "I Love You the Aamerican Way"

Terrifying: The Wig that Kal Penn wore in the phase leading up to their India Holiday. It was worse than some of the hideous outfits that the beautiful Vidya Balan was made to wear in Heyy Baby.

Scary: There was something about the way that Tabu was informed about her Husband's death that made you wonder how one could live in a far off land away from family and the people you love and know.

Sekar Mama, I will miss you. I would have loved to spend a lot more time with you. To answer the question you always used to ask me, You are still my favourite Mama on that side of the Atlantic.

Scary 2: Again, the monstrous wig that Kal Penn sported leading up to the family's holiday in India

Most Thoughtful Line: "See the World, You will never regret it.

The End: What a drag, in a sense unfinished, but the director was staying true to the book and hence I would say that it was a good movie but not great

Tryst with the Book: I read most of the book sitting anxiously outside the dialysis room in R.R., in the first and second week of July last year

I am still to figure out what comes out of Gogol's Overcoat?

P.S. I might have missed quite a few moments. It was one such movie. If you have any favourite moments from this movie, do share it with me

-X-X-X-X-


I had gone to see this movie in Spice with Megs, Anuj and Sanjh. Another lot was watching the same movie in JAM. What was important was the fact that I chose not to exercise my right to vote( a crying shame) for the Club elections. In the presence of Mrs Pranava Manjari, the Lingua Franca elections were taking place and all reports seemed to suggest that the turn out was very sparse.


The results, thankfully represented the sentiments of most of the members. Rupali was wisely elected the President and Sid the Vice President. They did one helluva job, managing everything they were involved with in college along with this post. Good on you guys!


No comments: