Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Joy at 3:30 in the morning

It's 3:30 in the morning. Federer has just saved two break points in the second set and the two guys are playing some amazing tennis. The kind of tennis that justifies getting up at this time when the rest of the world around you is still sleeping.

-X-X-X-X-

I just went outside in between games to spend a couple of minutes in the balcony and the weather right now is beautiful. Brilliant breeze hitting you in the face and not a soul on the street. I click a few pictures but nothing is visible in them. Proof that it is the dead of the night :)

Around six when I venture out, it would seem like it is the middle of the day. This is something that Krits and I noticed when we used to go the gym just around daybreak it would seem like it was too early. But once we started going a little bit before daybreak, 6:15 just seemed insanely late....

WHOA,,,, These guys are playing some tennis, Super Tennis. Wow!

-X-X-X-X-

There have been a few other occasions when I have had to get up at this time to watch a match. Back in 2006, it was around this time that I woke up to watch Yuvraj Singh try and guide India to victory in the last over. He hit two consecutive four's off Dwayne Bravo. We needed one run to win and three balls were still left. Bravo came in and bowled an amazing slower ball, and poof, that was that, we lost. The match finished around 3:45 in the morning and just a few hours later I had to trudge to I.P. College for a semester exam...

And another bit of MAGIC from Roger's racquet....Oh Wow. A beautiful pick from near the net, swinging forehand, the ball curls in and the champion goes up two sets to love....

-X-X-X-X-

Just once, I have actually been up till nearly four in the morning on the phone. If you want to 'talk', that is the best time, anytime after one and till a couple of hours before daylight. You will know more about the person in those few hours than trying to figure them out through hours of talking during the mundane hours.

WHAT a SHOT. A delectable drop with amazing backspin. The master is giving the young man a fine lesson....

-X-X-X-X-

It's going to be a long day. Anyone knows where I can buy a good cake ? If you do, please give me a buzz before six in the evening. It has got to be somewhere between Lajpat Nagar and Anand Vihar. Have to try and surprise a friend's dad on his birthday on 'behalf of my friend'. I hope he is surprised :). Yesterday, I wrote a feature story on a player after interviewing him sometime last week. It felt good. If you have time please go through the story and give me your feedback.
And the CHAMPION is back to doing what he does best, WINS another slam. Historic moment. He equals Sampras' record of Grand Slam wins. FedEx was back at his very best. I AM glad I was up to watch this match.


It's 4:30 and I reckon I can catch one hour of sleep. It was totally worth it.

WOOHOO. Roger IS BACK !

Update: 10:30 A.M.- It seems my dad was up at 02:30 to watch the match from the beginning. He went to sleep as soon as Federer won the first two sets. The weird thing is he is not even a huge tennis fan !

No comments: