Saturday, September 20, 2008

The week that was

What a fun week it was! Although, I must say as good as the trip was there is nothing that feels as good as your own bed. This was the first tournament I covered and it gave me quite a thrill to see some part of my press release finding its way into the major newspapers.

The best part and the worst part about the golf course was the fact that it was so far away. While it took an eternity to get there, once there, you felt so blissfully detached from the rush of the city. With the weather being at its best, there was very little else you could ask for.

I spent most of the day lazing around, covering a few groups and then slid back into my couch in the room that we were given in the clubhouse while I was not out on course. But it used to get hectic in the afternoon. I had to write the release as soon as the scores were in and dispatch it to all the contacts in the sports media across the country in a very short period.

It also gave me an opportunity to interact with the players, I guess the start of a few new friendships. I would be looking forward to the next tournament just to catch up with some of those chaps. The next tournament is sometime in November in the lovely city of Chandigarh.

I just wish there was some way to get to that course without having to do all that driving. It took the life out of me. Despite living close to Gurgaon, it took me a good hour to get there and that is the only thing I would like to change about the week.

The setup of the course was also so different from some of the courses I had been on previously. This one had a more links style feel to it and why not considering the fact that the owner of the golf course has not missed a single Open Championship in the last few decades.

-X-X-X-X-

Just a couple of pictures from the course-:













-X-X-X-X-

The bit that I loved was reading my press release in some of the Hindi newspapers. The best one was on the day I had started off saying "On a day when the sun god played hide and seek with the clouds....."

Here is a clipping from Hindustan. For some reason I found the translation of the first line very amusing-:














(Click on clipping to read the text)

No comments: