Wednesday, September 3, 2008

To me Mum and Dad

When I was young, my sister was enrolled into a music school and her teacher always used to ask my mom to enroll me for music lessons. I don't know whether it was a calculated decision or they followed their heart but they were smart enough to keep me out of it. Unlike others who would push their children too much to make wonders out of them, my parents were smart enough to realise that only a vocal chord surgery would be able to fish out some form of musical talent from within me.

-X-X-X-X-

Fast Forward to a few years down the line and I was this kid who used to return from school, change his clothes, have his lunch and go out into the balcony with a tennis ball in hand and a makeshift bat and lose myself to my own make belief world of sports. Most parents would have contemplated doctor's help for their seemingly deranged kid. My Mom and Dad never ever discouraged me from it. Maybe that was the time, the first thoughts of wanting to become a sports journalist crept into my head and it was not nipped in the bud. This, despite the fact that a few neighbours used to ask them "Aapka beta pagal hai kya?" :-) .In fact, I remember my sister's friend asking her the same question in front of me!!

-X-X-X-X-

12th Class and my tryst with Brilliant Tutorials came to a rather abrupt end. The pressure got to me and it was just too much for me to handle. I had to quit and there was no other way out of it. All of a sudden, I began to doubt my abilities and I did not even know if I would be able to make it through the Board Exams. But my Mom and Dad were there with me, encouraged me to believe in myself again and provided the kind of support through that volatile period in July without which I would not have been able to make it through another 9 months in a board exam year. I don't know whether my results would be considered good or not but whatever it was, was due to their full support.

-X-X-X-X-

End of college and there were many roads leading out towards a new life. I chose a path that would have met with a lot of skepticism and most would have chosen to obstruct that path. But not my parents. They encouraged me to take the step and follow my instincts.They chose to support my new endeavour. Now that I think about it, it must have been a terribly hard decision to support me down a path not oft traversed, but they did.

-X-X-X-X-

They say you learn things along the way and my little honeymoon with my new venture came to an end. I decided to part ways and have started on another new adventure. While the past three months were truly educational, sometimes things don't work out and you have to move on. Most would have given up hope but my Mom and Dad still stood by me. They gave me the kind of support that I could only have dreamt of and helped me through the transition period. Buoyed by their support, I take a great degree of confidence into my new job and a belief that I would be able to move ahead with it.


While my 'pursuit of happYness' continues, they have always encouraged me to pursue my dreams and never ever discouraged me. They have stood by me on all occasions and as I drove down to office today I realised, they have always backed my dreams and stood by my side through out.

One day, I WILL make them Proud.

To me Mum and Dad, Thank You.




7 comments:

Nandita Mathews said...

It's strange you know,family pics with the canyons in the back are always great.

Unknown said...

hey that was great, though I don't think we made any effort consciously to make you feel so. I think it is just out of the confidence we have in you and because we LOVE you.
But, sunny, don't expect this in other matters of importance!! :-)

appa said...

It is true your parents have not interfered in your attempts at School/College exams. They didn't have much to do in that direction as you were doing well in your studies. I should however add that unlike many parents, they have not interfered in your decision to go off the track after your college. They have apparently thought that you should know what you are doing and you should follow your own instincts. Not many parents would do that.To that extent I too am proud of your parents.
All these non-interference, and keeping their hands off, I do hope and believe, will lead to your enjoying what you are doing and that you have dreams far beyond what we have dreamt of going.I too have a lot of confidence in you and wish you well.
Thatha

Unknown said...

:-)

Unknown said...

Hey, I am very proud of your parents too! They also make a great sister/brother-in-law...
And whether or not you dragged it out of my mouth, you are a great guy too! You will do very well in life; God bless!

Rupali Tyagi said...

And this post will make neone who knows you feel proud.. :)

Anonymous said...

Is this a family blog??? Mom...aunt..thatha...what abt ur dad??